Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
Plastic bags are produced from non-renewable resources and are very difficult to recycle. Plastic bags are not biodegradable, so they remain as litter in the environment. Since the community identified building a “healthy & thriving environment” as a top priority during the Imagine Winter Park initiative, this fee will help mitigate the problems caused by plastic bags and create a more sustainable community.
Show All Answers
As of July 1, 2019, all retail and grocery stores in the Town of Winter Park will be required to charge $0.20 for every plastic bag used at checkout. The stores will retain 40% of the fees collected and the remaining 60% is sent to the Town of Winter Park to address the impacts of disposable bags in our community.
You can avoid paying the fee by bringing your own bag with you to the store.
Yes, a few exceptions to the fee include:
Yes! Our neighbors in Fraser implemented a similar fee in April 2019. Other cities including Boulder, Aspen, Telluride and Basalt also have ordinances in place to reduce the use of disposable bags.
Yes, this fee is only charged when a store provides a new plastic bag to a customer at checkout. Customers are welcome to reuse any bags they already have.