May 13, 2020
After twelve months of community feedback and design work, the Town of Winter Park is excited to release the adopted Downtown Plan! Creating a Downtown Plan has been a high priority for the Town to ensure our downtown is thriving, walkable, and welcoming for locals and visitors. The final document provides a roadmap for the future of downtown Winter Park focused on four guiding principles: Culture, Mobility, Economy and Environment. These principles closely align with the visions of the Imagine Winter Park Master Plan.
During the plan development process, 700+ people participated in two public events and coinciding online surveys. A 15-person Steering Committee consisting of members of the community were also engaged to provide overall direction on the plan. Winter Park staff met with CDOT three times to get their feedback on improvements to Main Street (Highway 40).
The Downtown Plan document provides clear instructions for our staff to implement and make the vision a reality. The design guidelines for the streetscape and architecture do the following:
- Create an overarching framework built around the vision for downtown.
- Organize programming to promote an urban atmosphere while preserving the mountain context of Winter Park.
- Enhance the downtown experience through consistency.
- More efficiently connect downtown to the region.
- Shape private interfaces with the public realm.
- Employ development and streetscape design best practices.